Rule Changes 2016
Please note the following matters. In some cases they represent changes to the competition introduced in 2016, or in recent years.
Topic Distribution for Years 7 in 2016
- Year 7 will have a list of three published topics per Topic Area. These topics will be released early in the week of the round. Debaters will be told on the night which of the three topics is to be debated.
- Year 8–10 and Senior topics will be released on the evening.
- No notes/fact sheets may be taken into preparation rooms, although a dictionary is allowed (Host co-ordinators may check this). No phones or internet connected devices are permitted in preparation rooms.
Two separate coin tosses will determine Aff/Neg for junior and senior debates. The side who wins the toss will affirm in the As/Cs & 1st/3rds and negate in the Bs & 2nds/4ths. There will be a first coin toss at 5:30pm for the junior debates and a second coin toss at 6:20pm for the senior debates,
- Year 7 : 3–4 minutes
- Year 8 : 4–5 minutes
- Year 9 : 4–6 minutes
- Year 10 : 5–7 minutes
- 1st-4th : 5–7 minutes
Warning bells rung one minute after the maximum times above indicate excessive length.
- All teams (including Firsts) may include a silent ("fourth") speaker, but need not do so. The fourth speaker may attend prep and sit with their team during the debate.
- Year 7–9 Debaters are prohibited from the use of clipboards, table tops or anything other than Palm Cards. Debaters are reminded that points are awarded for manner, including engaging the audience.
- Preparation for Year 7–9 begins at 5:45pm; debates commence at 6:30pm. Preparation is 45 minutes. Junior debaters should arrive by 5:20 for topic distribution.
- Preparation for Year 10–Seniors begins at 6:30pm; debates commence at 7:30pm. Preparation is 60 minutes. Senior debaters should arrive by 6:10 for topic distribution.
- Be aware that special rescheduled debates may not follow these starting times.